List of All Counties in Alaska: Total Counties, Biggest & Smallest County of Alaska. The state of Alaska is divided into a total of 19 counties (boroughs). The oldest of these is Petersburg Borough, which was founded in 2013, while Bristol Bay Borough was founded in 1962. The most populated city is Anchorage, with a population of 291,826. North Slope Borough has a land area of 230,035 km2, whereas Skagway has a land area of 1,171 km2. The state’s official flower is the Forget-me-not, and the official bird is the Willow Ptarmigan. Alaska has abundant natural resources, including oil, natural gas, gold, copper, and seafood.
List of All Counties in Alaska
Please find the alphabetized list of all Alaskan counties below.
- Aleutians East Borough, AK
- Anchorage Borough, AK
- Bristol Bay Borough, AK
- Denali Borough, AK
- Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK
- Haines Borough, AK
- Juneau Borough, AK
- Kenai Peninsula Borough, AK
- Ketchikan Gateway Borough, AK
- Kodiak Island Borough, AK
- Lake and Peninsula Borough, AK
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough, AK
- North Slope Borough, AK
- Northwest Arctic Borough, AK
- Petersburg Borough, AK
- Sitka Borough, AK
- Skagway Borough, AK
- Wrangell Borough, AK
- Yakutat Borough, AK
With a total size of 663,268 square miles (1,717,856 square kilometers), Alaska is the biggest state in the union by land area. On January 3, 1959, it was admitted to the Union as the 49th state.
Juneau, Alaska’s capital, is the only state capital in the United States that cannot be reached by car.
- Alaska is referred to as “The Last Frontier” because of its immense wilderness and undeveloped terrain.
- At 20,310 feet (6,190 meters) above sea level, Mount Denali (formerly known as Mount McKinley) is the tallest mountain in North America.
- With a coastline that stretches over 6,640 miles (10,686 km), Alaska has more shoreline than the rest of the country combined.
|Statehood||January 3, 1959|
|Nickname||“The Last Frontier”|
|Motto||“North to the Future”|
|Area||663,267 square miles (1,717,856 square kilometers)|
|Population||Approximately 731,545 (as of 2021)|
|Time Zone||Alaska Standard Time (AKST), Alaska Daylight Time (AKDT)|
|Major Industries||Oil and gas, fishing, tourism, mining, timber, military operations, etc|
|State Bird||Willow Ptarmigan|
|State Tree||Sitka Spruce|
|State Song||“Alaska’s Flag”|
|Major National Parks||
FAQ: List of All Counties in Alaska
Q: What is the capital of Alaska?
A: The capital of Alaska is Juneau.
Q: What is the largest city in Alaska?
A: The largest city in Alaska is Anchorage.
What size is Alaska?
A: Alaska has the biggest land area of any state in the US. It has an area of around 1,717,854 square kilometers (663,300 square miles).