List of Gandhi Peace Prize Winners pdf Download 1995 – 2021 | List of Awardees – The International Gandhi Peace Prize in the name of Mahatma Gandhi is awarded annually by the Government of India.
- As a tribute to the ideals propounded by Gandhi, the Government of India instituted the International Gandhi Peace Prize in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mohan Das Gandhi.
- It is an annual award given to individuals and institutions for their contribution towards social, economic and political change through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- Rs. in prize money. 10 million cash, convertibles into any currency in the world, a plaque and a citation.
It is open to all individuals regardless of nationality, race, creed or gender.
- A jury of the Prime Minister of India, the Leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India and two other eminent persons decides the award winner each year.
List of Gandhi Peace Prize Winners pdf Download 1995 – 2021 | List of Awardees
|1996||A. T. Ariyaratne||Sri Lanka|
|2000||Nelson Mandela||South Africa|
|2001||John Hume||United Kingdom|
|2002||Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan||India|
|2003||Václav Havel||Czech Republic|
|2004||Coretta Scott King||United States|
|2005||Desmond Tutu||South Africa|
|2006 -2012||Not Awarded To Any One|
|2013||Chandi Prasad Bhatt||India|
|2016||Akshaya Patra Foundation||India|
|2017||Ekal Abhiyan Trust||India|
|2018||Yōhei Sasakawa [||Japan|
What is the Gandhi Peace Prize?
Gandhi Peace Prize is given to one person/organization every year. A jury comprising the Prime Minister of India, the Chief Justice of India, the leader of the largest opposition party in the Lok Sabha and two eminent members decides the award winner.
- The term of the jury is three years.
- The ex-officio members of the jury (PM, CJI and Loop) are permanent members, while the eminent members retire. Re-appointment is in force.
- The jury is headed by the PM. In his absence, the remaining members of the jury decide the presiding officer.
- Most of the jury is needed to make a decision. Moreover, no protests can be made against the jury’s decisions.
Who can propose the Gandhi Peace Prize?
The jury has the right to invite anyone to propose the Gandhi Peace Prize, as it deems fit. With this, the list of the following members has the potential to propose the Gandhi Peace Prize:
- former jury member
- Former award winner of Gandhi Peace Prize
- Member of the Indian Parliament
- Nobel Laureates for the last five years
- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General with other leaders of international organizations. The purpose of such resolutions is to promote peace, non-violence, liberation of the less privileged sections of the society, tolerance, social harmony and social justice.
- Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors of Universities
- Heads of Indian Missions abroad
- Heads of institutions engaged in the study and research of non-violence and Gandhian theories.
- Presiding Officers of Lok Sabha/Legislative Assemblies and Councils.
- Chief Ministers of states and Union Territories with administrations and governors.
- commonwealth secretary general
- commonwealth parliamentary union