List of All Attorney General of India 2023 – Check Full List – Here Is The Complete List Of all AGI. Check Full List From Below. According to Article 76(1) of the Constitution, the President of India appoints the Attorney General of India, who acts on the leave of the President. Prior to the Indian Supreme Court, the Attorney General of India serves as the principal legal representative of the central government.
List of All Attorney General of India – Check Full List
|Name of the Attorney General||Tenure|
|M.C. Setalvad||28 January 1950 – 1 March 1963|
|C.K. Daftari||2 March 1963 – 30 October 1968|
|Niren de||1 November 1968 – 31 March 1977|
|S.V. Gupte||1st April 1977 – 8th August 1979|
|L.N. Sinha||9th August 1979 – 8th August 1983|
|K. Parasaran||9th August 1983 – 8th December 1989|
|Soli Sorabjee||9th December 1989 – 2nd December 1990|
|J. Ramaswamy||3rd December 1990 – November 23rd 1992|
|Milon K. Banerji||21st November 1992 – 8th July 1996|
|Ashok Desai||9th July 1996 – 6th April 1998|
|Soli Sorabjee||7th April 1998 – 4th June 2004|
|Milon K. Banerjee||5th June 2004 – 7th June 2009|
|Goolam Essaji Vahanvati||8th June 2009 – 11th June 2014|
|Mukul Rohatgi||12th June 2014 – 30th June 2017|
|K.K. Venugopal||30th June 2017 – September 22nd , 2022|
|R. Venkataramani||1st October 2022 till date|
- Article 76 of Part V of the Indian Constitution describes the duties of the Attorney General of India.
- The primary legal advisor of the central government is the Attorney General. In court, they are in charge of defending the Indian government.
- The election of attorney general should not be based on politics.
- The post of Attorney General of India has been filled by eminent Supreme Court lawyer R Venkataramani for a three-year term.
Attorney General of India: FAQs
Question. Who is the present Solicitor General of India 2022?
- Shri Tushar Mehta is the present Solicitor General of India.
Question. Who appoints the Attorney General for India?
- A candidate who meets the requirements to serve as a judge of the Supreme Court will be elected by the President to serve as the Attorney General of India.
Question. Who can remove the Attorney General of India?
- The President of India appoints the Attorney General of India to hold office for as long as the President so desires.
- He should belong to one of the two Houses of Parliament.
- Parliament has the power to impeach the Attorney General of India.
Question. Who can become attorney general?
- To become the Attorney General of India, one must have served either five years as a judge or ten years as an advocate in the High Court of an Indian state.
- The President appoints the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.